Friday, March 4, 2016

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

This past week, my peers and I in the Dig Cit class entered our Global Citizenship Unit. We have been analyzing some of the basic rights that are guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, posted by the United Nation. It was great to see some many of the 30 rights actually mirror some of the amendments to the US constitution. One such right is the right to Assembly, while another is the right to free speech and religion. 
I felt much pride that our constitution was used in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. To think that we had that much of an impact on the seven billion people that inhabit the Earth is amazing. I realize how blessed I am to be in the system of government that we in America enjoy. 
However, I also realized that many of the rights that are included in the Declaration are not followed. The right to movement and the right to flee persecution are almost universally denied in third world countries. Furthermore, the right to seek asylum isn't respected worldwide, even in America with the Syrian refugees. There are many steps our country needs to take in securing everyone's right if we want to continue to be the leader of the free world. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the rights you mentioned, I'm surprised as big of a tech guy you are you didn't mention the Copyright one. Very cool to see the resemblence in the US Constitution.

    ReplyDelete